Summit Carbon Solutions Announces Expansion into Nebraska and Consultant Partnerships
– 12 more biorefineries join Summit Carbon Solutions, bringing the total to 30 facilities across Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Nebraska
– New agreements bring Summit Carbon Solutions’ total committed carbon dioxide volume up to nearly 8 million metric tons annually
– Additional discussions underway that will likely result in commitments exceeding the company’s original target of 10 million metric tons of carbon dioxide stored per year
– Best-in-class consultants engaged with expertise in carbon capture, transportation, and storage to accelerate development of the project
(ALDEN, Iowa) April 29, 2021 – Summit Carbon Solutions is pleased to announce the growth and further development of the world’s largest carbon capture and storage project, which will link dozens of carbon dioxide emission sources, primarily biorefineries, from across the Midwestern United States to permanent geologic storage sites in North Dakota. In two months since the formal launch announcement in February 2021, Summit Carbon Solutions has expanded relationships across the biorefining industry, resulting in the addition of 12 biorefineries to its network, bringing the current total to 30. Through this expansion, Summit Carbon Solutions’ committed CO2 volume will likely result in commitments exceeding the company’s original target of 10 million metric tons per year.
The new biorefinery additions will extend Summit Carbon Solutions’ network of CO2 sources deeper into Iowa and Minnesota and will broaden its reach with its first commitments from CO2 sources in Nebraska. The expansion into Nebraska will be supported by Green Plains, Husker Ag, and Louis Dreyfus Company, which will supply CO2 from their facilities, dramatically reducing the carbon footprint of their respective operations.
“We are pleased to welcome more forward-thinking biorefiners into the project,” said Bruce Rastetter, CEO of Summit Agricultural Group, the project developer. “Carbon capture and storage will be transformative for the industry and we could not be more excited to play a role in the development. While our current partners are all biorefiners, we are in active discussions with other industrial emitters in the Midwest,” Rastetter added. “This will be an inclusive project with a variety of stakeholders that will allow other emitters to achieve carbon reduction goals.”
“Biorefining and agriculture are vital to Nebraska’s economy,” said Pete Ricketts, Governor of Nebraska. “By partnering with Summit Carbon Solutions, Nebraska biorefiners will greatly accelerate their efforts to produce a net zero carbon fuel, while at the same time bolstering the agricultural producers they serve and the local economies they support. I look forward to seeing this project take shape and seeing the impact it will have on Nebraska.”
In addition, Summit Carbon Solutions is making progress toward its operational date in 2024 with the engagement of best-in-class consultants and engineers to design and optimize the project:
– Trimeric Corporation, an engineering firm with extensive experience in carbon capture system design, is conducting preliminary engineering on carbon capture systems that will be located at each partner plant. Trimeric is an industry leader in the design of carbon capture systems and has led similar biorefinery carbon capture projects in Illinois, North Dakota, and Kansas.
– Wood, a global leader in consulting and engineering, with considerable expertise in midstream infrastructure, is performing pre-FEED (Front End Engineering and Design) analysis on the carbon dioxide pipeline network to determine optimal size, routing, and design. Wood is one of the world’s most reputable pipeline engineering firms and has vast experience in CO2 pipeline design.
– The Energy and Environmental Research Center (EERC), a research and development arm of the University of North Dakota, is assisting Summit Carbon Solutions in selecting, analyzing, and developing CO2 storage sites in North Dakota. The EERC is a global leader in geotechnical analysis related to carbon management and has unmatched knowledge of geology in North Dakota.
“We are thrilled to add these world-class consultants to our efforts,” said Justin Kirchhoff, President of Summit Ag Investors. “Capturing, transporting and storing more than 10 million tons of CO2 per year is an ambitious goal, but it’s necessary to meet urgent decarbonization needs, and we have the right group of partners, consultants, and technical experts to bring the business plan to fruition.”
Summit Carbon Solutions seeks to lower greenhouse gas emissions by connecting industrial emitters via strategic infrastructure to store carbon dioxide safely and permanently in the Midwestern United States.
Summit Agricultural Group is a diversified agribusiness operator and investment manager with operations in the United States and Brazil. Summit deploys capital across the agricultural supply chain with a particular focus at the intersection of agriculture and renewable energy. For more information, visit: www.summitag.com
CONTACT: JON PROBST
PHONE: (515) 854-9812